5.04.2006

I've been asked more than once about the inspiration for this story, and specifically about the Bermuda Triangle. Why I chose it, what I think about it, etc. The short answer is that the book isn't exactly about the Triangle. I use that as a jumping off point, and that's pretty much as far as it goes. But it is there for a reason.

This is how I explained it in the Newsarama interview:

I like how the mysteries persist, and how there's always just enough to them that it gets you wondering. Even if the skeptics are right all the time, I don't want to necessarily hear it. Life's more interesting if you have those chances to say "what if?"

You can find it without even looking - from the Bermuda Triangle to Area 51 to the X-Files to the DaVinci Code, there is a persistent yearning for this kind of mystery. Few people really want to see these things explained, at least not to a degree of scientific certainty. Just as importantly, I don't think people necessarily want to believe in conspiracies, either. What they want is the for the mystery to remain just plausible enough.

And why not? There is no way that the skeptics are right 100% of the time - there is something to these myths. Borrowed Time is the "what if?" situation. And if these things do actually exist, as they must to some extent, then they must also have affected real people along the way. That is where it starts.

For anyone who's curious, these are some of the pages I bookmarked while doing my research on the book. I don't know that they were ultimately all that helpful, but they do give a window into some of the thinking out there.

The Bermuda Triangle, from byerly.org

Bermuda-Triangle.org

What the Navy says

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home